In the army of the Lord we need to be good soldiers and we need to train good soldiers. I see today many who are looking for the comfort zone. Many are on continual R & R. They never confront the enemy. They never rescue the perishing. They take the path of political correctness and safety.
I do believe there is a Master’s Minority in all our churches that would rise up, put on the armor of God and get in the battle for righteousness. They would look to the to our Commander in Chief, the Lord Jesus Christ. They would have His passion for the lost.
Below are a few thoughts on some Bible characteristics of a good soldier. I’m sure there are many more that could be added. Let’s get busy doing the work of a good soldier of Jesus Christ and then recruiting additional soldiers for the spiritual warfare we are in.
1. A GOOD SOLDIER HAS LEARNED TO ENDURE HARDNESS – (2 Timothy 2:3) “Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.” Christian Life is not simply a Sunday School picnic (1 Samuel 17:29) “And David said, What have I now done? Is there not a cause?”
2. HE AVOIDS DISTRACTING ENTANGLEMENTS – (2 Timothy 2:4a) “No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life;…” that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.”
3. A GOOD SOLDIER DESIRES TO PLEASE HIS SUPERIOR – (2 Timothy 2:4b-5) “… that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.”
4. A GOOD SOLDIER REALIZES SOME BATTLES ARE WORTH FIGHTING – (1 Timothy 6:12) “Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses”
5. A GOOD SOLDIER IS READY TO DIE – (2 Timothy 4:6) “For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.”
6. A GOOD SOLDIER HAS A FIGHTING FINISHING FAITH – (2 Timothy 4:7) “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
7. A GOOD SOLDIER WILL BE REWARDED – (2 Timothy 4:8) “Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.”