One of the greatest tools God allowed me use and be involved in when I was pastor at Shawnee Baptist Church was the Sunday School. I started several classes, built them to 30 or 40 then turned them over to the assistant, waited a few months then started a new class.
As a result I always felt like I was getting a fresh start and a fresh challenge. In addition I was training adult Sunday School teachers. The list below is only a skeleton and not all inclusive. It is however, a great start to establishing a new class with the pastor’s blessing of course.
A little later I will give my list of things to do to grow a class once it is started. A new class like a new church will grow faster than an established class.
Dr. Lee Roberson would challenge me every time he came to Shawnee Baptist Church to build the Sunday School and to reach adults. If you have ideas that you have used to start an Adult class let me know. I may add them to my list as I travel and share ideas with pastors who are trying to get their Sunday Schools motivated.
HOW TO START AN ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL CLASS
1. Pray for the leadership of the Holy Spirit
2. Select a name for your new class
3. Determine the profile of your class (age, status, area, etc.)
4. Scan the church roll for prospects… Anyone on the church roll who is not enrolled in Sunday School is a potential prospect.
5. Survey visitors for prospects
6. Set a date for your grand opening
7. Determine the location and arrangements
8. Plan the organization … Start with an assistant if possible (ushers, greeters, secretary, set up, song leader, etc)
9. Decide not to steal from other established classes, instead pray for laborers
10. Build a mailing data base and write letters introducing your new class
11. Organize your class schedule
12. Organize your class records
13. Organize your follow-up procedures… (call, write, visit)
14. Make directional signs to your class… Goal: Be the easiest class to find without being obnoxious or appearing competitive.
15. Make class calling cards or brochures
16. Gather and organize all class tools and materials
Excellent advice on reaching adults! Looking forward to the follow-up article.
Thanks,There are actually 3 more SS posts to come. #2 will be coming tomorrow.
Nice! I used to train teachers in my class (late elementary students) for many years. I am seeking an assistant now to start in the church I attend now, but so far God has not provided. Always looking though:) I’m sure these principles work in younger classes too, but if you get the adults the children’s section will grow. Both are a definate need!!! I look forward to the next installment. 🙂 Angie
Thank you for your comment:
It is true that if you get the adults the children’s section will grow. However, reaching children will give you an opportunity to reach the adults in their lives as you do follow up work.
Loving and visiting the children will win your way into the heart of the adults. They will become easier to reach. Remember, “a little child shall lead them.”
Very true. In fact, it’s easier to reach the child first in many cases. I love that my Pastor believes in Sunday School strongly when so many churches are abandoning it for ‘small groups’. We’ll keep working to win them all! Angie